Thursday, April 27, 2006

Name Game

Is it wrong to want to keep your own last name when you get married? This desire has nothing to do with not liking his last name, loving the sound of my last name, or ideas about feminism.

Pretty much I just feel like it is my name. It just sounds right to me. However, the BF is totally opposed to this. I can understand the practical problems it would cause and respect his opinion.

However, changing my name will not change me. We will have been together for 10 years by the time we get married...so people already know that we are a couple despite the different names.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just happened upon your blog and thought I'd comment because it's always cool to get a comment :) Anyhow I'm wanting to go to law school after I finish my Bachelor's degree. I'm 40 years old and the last time I was in college was 15 years ago. I started back in January and am going through the summers so I can finish quicker.

As far as your name change dilemma goes, you could always use both names and hyphenate it. Hopefully you both don't have long last names or that could get old quick having to sign things. Just a thought...

prettylawchick said...

Good luck! That's really great...and impressive.

In terms of the last name...if i hyphenated it would be 15 letters not including the hyphen! :)

That Guy said...

I have to admit, I'd be upset if the significant other didn't change her name when we got married. I look at sharing the name as a symbol that a new family has been formed.

Also, I'm a guy and I just like how it works ;)

V J.D. said...

you don't have to change the name if you don't want to. do what is right for you. If he's so big on one name to form "the family" then tell him to take your name.

Names are important and if it is you then keep it. I'm a guy too and I don't really care if the GF wants to keep her name.

Anonymous said...

I am a female, and I feel the same way about my name - It is who I am, and it also represents the roots from which I come. I think it is completely logical to want to keep your name. If you have children, their last names can be a hyphenated combination of both of your names!