Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 1

So today was the first day of the summer law firm job. I was SUPER nervous last night and this morning...I barely slept at all.

Everyone...and I really mean everyone...in the office was extremely nice. We are allowed to dress business casual unless going to court...and this includes open toed shoes and really pretty casual clothes.

The only scary part: I was assigend a memo that is due tomorrow or the next day...and is the same kind of thing we spent 6 weeks on in LRRW!

Welcome to the real world :)

3 comments:

V J.D. said...

The hardest thing to learn in the real world is that you don't have all day and all night to rewrite your assignments. So here's a tip for surviving the real world. 95% complete and turned in is always better than not turning something in on time.

Here's the trick, your first few assignments are fluff, but they will set your pace for the next few weeks. Catch 22 here, if you do really well, you get to the more interesting work, but they will give you way more of it.

So, on that note, try not to manage your own workload. You'll want to take on every assignment b/c you'll want to please everyone. If you do that you will end up doing a lot of shoddy work and you won't please anyone. Develop a good relationship with your supervisor and when people come to you directly with work, ask them to run it through your supervisor. If your supervisor is good he'll look out for you and won't give you more than he thinks you can handle.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hey, vjd is right. Make sure that you proof everything but get it in on time. And when I say proof it, I mean read it on paper not the computer screen. I'll never forget the time I handed my supervisor an incomplete spreadsheet because I had the "Print Area" in Excel set incorrectly.

But it looked right on the screen...

V J.D. said...

Here's another tip. Don't flirt, make out, or have sex with anyone at the firm. I knew a girl that thought sleeping with a partner would be the beginning of a bright legal career. She was wrong. Partners don't want their summer flings sticking around to cause trouble.