Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Some Practical 1L Advice:

Since the advice "Don't Do It!!" will not work for those seriously intent on going to law school...I thought of a few practical pieces of advice:

1. Buy you books online at a site such as Amazon.com. You can usually get a list of the books you will need from the university bookstore site online. It is MUCH MUCH cheaper to get your books this way (unless you have some thing about havin new books that no one has used before). I happen to find used books helpful because much of the outlining is already done and I sometimes find the notes in the margins to be helpful.

Also, whem you are finished with the books....sell them on Amazon. You will get much more than you will from the bookstore.

2. Get as many commercial outlines as you can.
The Profs will tell you not to--but this really is a big fat lie. I found commercial outlines to be EXTREMELY helpful.
You can also get these used on Amazon.

3. Find what works for you.
People will tell you how to make your outlines, that you must study in study groups, and a myriad of other pieces of advice.
You just have to figure out wha works best for you.
I personally did not find study groups helpful.

4. Outlines
Law school will stress outlines...and they truly are helpful. However...you must figure out what kind of outline works best for you. Legally Blonde seems to like to use tabbing in her outlines. Some people make HUGE outlines. I needed short to the point outlines that told me just what I needed to know.

No comments: